Thursday, October 14, 2010

First Experiments - Samplers and Variations

I hope you can learn from my mistakes and successes.  Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.
These are some of the first steps I took in fabric painting.

I made a sampler of the colors I had of paints and markers on white 8mm Silk Stretched 10 inch Square Hoops that I purchased from Dharma Trading Co. http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/749797-AA.shtml

Experimenting with behavior of the inks, dyes and paints on the fabric squares was helpful.  As you can see some spread on the fabric while others stayed in the lines.  The paint as expected flowed rapidly and some of the markers flowed more then expected while the Marvy Uchida and Crayola permanent fabric markers did not flow and stayed in the drawn line.  Amount of pressure while applying can make a difference.

I then practiced using water resist to outline my designs.  I used an applicator bottle and different size tips. My attempts were clumsy and unsuccessful in obtaining a straight unblotchy line!  I had some small successes and will try again.  However I decided to try other methods.  Later I tried Nori Paste.

Thickening the Jacquard fabric paints was effective
Using Crayola, Marvy Uchida and Sharpie permanent fabric markers was successful and the results were very permanent while being soft and supple after washing.

Samplers of Jacquard Fabric Paint Dye Na Flow and Permanent Fabric Markers

Metal hoops painted with Jacquard Dye Na Flow paints.
Kosher salt sprinkled on the surface while still wet






1A)   Metal hoops painted with Jacquard Dye Na Flow paints.
After dry applied alcohol

2A)   Metal hoops painted with Jacquard Dye Na Flow paints.
While wet applied alcohol


This sampler was made to see if permanent fabric markers would be effective when applied on top of the fabric already dyed with Jacquard Green Label Cyan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment