Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Multi Colored Hand Painted Silk Scarf - Fabric Painting - Mostly Silk

This experiment was made with a white piece of 8mm habotai silk. I had previously designed an image with clear water resist and decided to wash it out. It did not completely wash out and left a few designs underneath which I liked. I folded the material several times after it was dry. I placed my brush into the blue paint and laid my brush along one side. I repeated this with green, purple, green again and yellow and blue again. The paint soaked through all the layers. I unfolded it and hung it up to dry. After the scarf was dried I heat set it by ironing it.

After a day I decided on the design I want and painted them with Marvy Uchida DecoFabric markers and their fine point fabric markers. I heat set it with an iron to permanently embed the colors. I later washed the fabric in Synthrapol SP textile detergent and after rinsing I soaked it in Milsoft NB textile softener. It is very soft and supple with no feeling on any paint texture on the surface. Hope this is helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment